Nothing beats a family meal, not for me anyway. I love sitting at the table with the children discussing the day we have had. Like many families we lead quite busy lifestyles. The children spend most of their day at school during the week and my job means I am often on my computer for most of the day and night. In order to enjoy those precious evenings with my children I make quick and easy that pack a nutritional punch and allow me to spend as much time as possibly with my family. If quick, easy and healthy dinners is what you need then this post is the post for you.
Theo is a very fussy eater which makes my family meal options very limited, however, below I have listed 10 quick and easy meal ideas that he will always tuck into. If your child is also a fussy eater give some of the options below a try, you never know, you may discover a new ‘accepted’ dish to offer.
- Spaghetti Bolognese – Spaghetti Bolognese is incredibly easy to make and takes minimal effort if you have a slow cooker.
- Fajita – this Mexican dish is a great DIY dinner. Simply serve each component separately on the table and let the kids create their own tasty meal. Children, especially fussy eaters, love getting involved.
- Sausages and mash – this meal is perfect for the colder months. Sausages and mash is delicious served with gravy and guaranteed to fill hungry little tummies.
- Pasta dishes or pasta bake – pasta is incredibly versatile. It can be served plain, with sauce, without sauce or as a pasta bake. It also goes well with most meats making it a great family meal staple.
- Homemade burgers – homemade burgers are super fun to make with the children. Not only are they quick and easy to make, they are also incredibly affordable. All you need is ground or minced meat, an egg to bind and a few herbs and spices.
- Homemade pizza – the possibilities are endless when it comes to homemade pizza. You could create a base using vegetables such as cauliflower and let the children choose their own toppings.
- Casseroles – casseroles are a perfect slow cooker dish. Nothing beats a casserole served with mash potato or suet dumplings on a cold winter evening.
- Homemade breaded chicken – if your children prefer beige and boring food to colourful and exciting why not make your own breaded chicken? Making your own breaded chicken is far healthier than buying similar products in supermarkets. Check out my avocado chicken pops for a tasty treat that is full of goodness.
- Salmon and vegetables – simply wrap a portion of salmon in foil with a little oil and parsley. Bake for 15 minutes and serve with asparagus or green beans.
- Roast dinner – some call a roast dinner a Sunday dinner, but in my opinion roast dinners are acceptable any day of the week. I rarely make a roast dinner but that is something I want to change. Cooking a roast dinner may seem like a huge task, but with a little preparation you can tuck into a traditional meal faster than you can say roast potatoes!
What are your fail proof quick and easy family meal options?
My healthy banana and raisin muffins are perfect for freezing which means you can bake a batch at the weekend and pop them in lunch boxes during the week. For more fantastic recipes and meal ideas check out Sneaky Veg.